Two suicide bombers kill more than a dozen in a market in Cameroon

Two suicide bombers killed at least 12 people and injured 50 others in a market in Meme, northern Cameroon on Friday, military sources told the Reuters news agency.

Two men walked into the market and blew themselves up, one of the officials based in northern Cameroon said, adding that the number of dead and injured is subject to change.

There has so far been no official claim of responsibility for the attack but officials pointed the finger at Nigeria-based Boko Haram, which has been blamed for a campaign of suicide attacks in neighbouring countries Cameroon, Chad and Niger over the past year.

Boko Haram violence in Cameroon has caused about 1,000 deaths, according to the Cameroon government and military sources.

Boko Haram is thought to have killed about 15,000 people and driven more than two million from their homes during its six-year insurgency in one of the world’s poorest regions.

Nigeria, Chad, Niger, Cameroon and Benin have set up an 8,700-strong regional force tasked with wiping out Boko Haram.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s